Title: Senior Manager / Director, Business Development
Location: Toronto, Ontario (365 Bay Street)
Job Type: Full-Time / Permanent
Hydrostor (hydrostor.ca) is a Toronto-based cleantech company which is the world’s leading developer of utility-scale long duration energy storage facilities. Hydrostor develops major energy projects that use its breakthrough Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage (A-CAES) technology, providing long duration, non-emitting, and cost-effective energy storage – an essential technology for integrating intermittent renewables and achieving deep decarbonization of the electrical grid.
The company is undergoing significant growth internationally, in markets including Canada, the U.S., Australia and Chile. Hydrostor has a young, dynamic and driven team, and offers opportunities for career development in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving industry poised for major global growth over the next several decades.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Hydrostor is looking for a Senior Manager/Director, located in Toronto, who will be a key member of the Business Development team. In this position, there will be opportunities to take on additional responsibility as the company expands. This individual will play a key role in supporting the origination, development and regulatory process related to the company’s various power market opportunities in North America.
- Key member of the Business Development team, leading a range of opportunities as well as oversight of others
- Working with origination leads to assist with managing relationships with utilities, developers, mining/industrial companies to create opportunities
- Work with regulatory leads to assist with market-specific regulatory strategies and processes, including management of regulatory intervention / proceedings
- Advance development opportunities in designated markets, including analysis on prospective projects and the development of these opportunities as appropriate (e.g. land control, permitting, interconnection etc.)
- Conduct research and analysis on various topics, including local power market dynamics, macroeconomic trends related to power markets
- Lead financial analysis on prospective projects, including pricing of power purchase agreements
- Establish business models for long duration storage, based on understanding of local power market dynamics, macroeconomic trends related to power markets, and potential project opportunities
- Establish partnerships and stakeholder relationships necessary for successful commercial outcomes
- Develop market entry strategy for new jurisdictions considering local power market/favorable regulatory conditions, customer base, political forces and other factors
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements with development partners and other counterparties
- Prepare pitches to prospective new clients
- Other responsibilities as required
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated team player who is passionate about the clean energy transition and enjoys working in a fast-paced, growth environment. The successful candidate will bring experience in the power sector, particularly power markets and/or power project development, and experience in financial modeling. The candidate will demonstrate an attention to detail, a willingness to learn and an ability to creatively problem solve and take initiative. Critical thinking, good judgment and a can-do attitude will be important as the successful candidate will be called upon to support a wide range of business development activities. They will be a strong communicator who listens well and can deal effectively with multiple internal and external partners to deliver successful outcomes. The successful candidate will be an experienced professional with a strong work ethic, be highly organized and able succeed in an international business environment with many concurrent projects and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree (business or engineering preferred)
- Advanced degrees would be considered an asset (MBA preferred)
- 10+ years of professional work experience
- Significant prior experience in the power sector, in either a business development, regulatory or finance role, is required
- Understanding of power markets (U.S. / Canada / Other) is required
- Prior project development or project management experience an asset
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinker who takes initiative and has strong work ethic
- Organized and manages time effectively
- Creative Problem Solver with an Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to both lead others and work well as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- Strong MS Office skills – mainly PowerPoint, Excel (i.e. modeling), Word, SharePoint, and Teams.
Interested candidates, please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title you are applying for in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hydrostor values, respects and supports the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our team. Our employment decisions are based on business and position requirements without regard to factors such as race, sex, colour, ancestry, place of origin, ethnic origin, same-sex partnership status, sexual orientation, age, disability, citizenship, family status or marital status, creed, gender identity or gender expression, or any other factor that are legislatively protected. Hydrostor is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. Applicants requiring accommodation during the recruitment and selection process are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required. We will work with you to meet your needs.