Toronto, ON, Canada
Manager, Business Development
ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Hydrostor is a leading developer of Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage (A-CAES) systems, a technology uniquely suited to enable the transition to a cleaner, more reliable electricity grid. A-CAES provides grid services that are not readily replicated by other storage technologies, giving it unique market potential. It flexibly addresses bulk electricity system needs for dispatchable capacity, renewable integration and optimization, transmission deferral and ancillary services, and is ideal for use in behind-the-meter or remote applications for mines and large industrial operations. Hydrostor’s solution delivers low-cost, long duration bulk energy storage (hundreds of MWs, 4-24+ hours) that is synchronous and emission-free and can be located where required by the grid. Hydrostor is based in Toronto and is in the midst of significant growth both in Canada and internationally, in markets such as the U.S., Australia and Chile where the company is currently developing projects.
Hydrostor is looking for a Manager, located in Toronto, who will be a key member of the Business Development team. In
this position, there will be opportunities to take on additional responsibility as the company expands. This individual will
play a key role in supporting the origination, development and regulatory process related to the company’s various
power market opportunities in North America. This role will report to the Vice President, Origination and Regulatory, and
require 10-20% travel.
- Support the Business Development team on a range of opportunities
- Working with origination leads to assist with managing relationships with utilities, developers, mining/industrial
companies to create opportunities
- Work with regulatory leads to assist with market-specific regulatory strategies and processes, including management
of regulatory intervention / proceedings
- Advance opportunities in designated markets, including analysis on prospective projects and the development of
these opportunities as appropriate (e.g. land control, permitting, etc.)
- Conduct research and analysis on various topics, including local power market dynamics, macroeconomic trends
related to power markets
- Lead financial analysis on prospective projects, including pricing of power purchase agreements and build-own-
transfer schemes for renewable paired and stand-alone energy storage projects
- Establish business models for long duration storage, based on understanding of local power market dynamics,
macroeconomic trends related to power markets, and potential project opportunities
- Establish partnerships and stakeholder relationships necessary for successful commercial outcomes
- Develop market entry strategy for new jurisdictions considering local power market/favorable regulatory conditions,
customer base, political forces and other factors
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements with development partners and
- Assist during due diligence processes associated with onboarding new partners
- Prepare pitches to prospective new clients
- Other responsibilities as required
The ideal candidate will be an energetic and motivated team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced, growth
environment. He/she will demonstrate attention to detail, a willingness to learn and take initiative, be performance
driven, and take accountability for areas under their responsibility. Critical thinking and good judgment will be important
as the successful candidate will be called upon to support a range of business development. A good communicator, both
written and oral, who listens well and can deal effectively with internal and external partners. Ability to understand both
the power and financial markets will be essential as the role will require detailed modeling and analysis around
development initiatives in differing power markets. The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic and be able to
succeed in an environment with many concurrent projects and deadlines. Experience in power markets, regulatory
processes and/or power project development, as well as experience in financial modeling, is helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree (business or engineering preferred)
- Advanced degrees would be considered an asset (MBA preferred)
- +7 years of professional work experience
- Prior experience in the power sector, in either a business development, regulatory or finance role, is required
- Understanding of power markets (U.S. / Canada / Other) is required
- Prior project development or marketing communications experience an asset
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinker who takes initiative and has strong work ethic
- Organized and manages time effectively
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- Strong MS Office skills – mainly PowerPoint, Excel (i.e. modeling), Word
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out the form or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline and state the applying Job Title in the subject line. Or, by mail to Human Resources at 365 Hydrostor Inc., Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2V1.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hydrostor values, respects and supports the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our team. Our employment decisions are based on business and position requirements without regard to factors such as race, sex, colour, ancestry, place of origin, ethnic origin, same-sex partnership status, sexual orientation, age, disability, citizenship, family status or marital status, creed, gender identity or gender expression, or any other factor that are legislatively protected.
Hydrostor is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. Applicants requiring accommodation during the recruitment and selection process are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required. We will work with you to meet your needs.