Title: Associate, Business Development
Location: Toronto, Ontario (365 Bay Street)
Job Type: Full-Time / Permanent
Hydrostor (hydrostor.ca) is a Toronto-based cleantech company which is the world’s leading developer of utility-scale long duration energy storage facilities. Hydrostor develops major energy projects that use its breakthrough Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage (A-CAES) technology, providing long duration, non-emitting, and cost-effective energy storage – an essential technology for integrating intermittent renewables and achieving deep decarbonization of the electrical grid.
The company is based in Toronto and undergoing significant growth internationally, in markets including Canada, the U.S., Australia and Chile. Hydrostor has a young, dynamic and driven team, and offers opportunities for career development in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving industry poised for major global growth over the next several decades.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Hydrostor is looking for an Associate to join our Business Development team in Toronto. This individual will play a key role in supporting the sales, and development process, help to implement the company’s business strategies, and to drive growth. A successful candidate will have significant opportunities to take on additional responsibility as the company expands.
- Support Chief Commercial Officer and Business Development team on a range of sales and project development activities
- Conduct research and analysis on local power market dynamics, prospective clients, and potential project opportunities
- Carry out financial analysis on prospective projects, including pricing of power purchase agreements
- Model future power market revenue streams (such as capacity payments, ancillary service payments, and price arbitrage) and cash flows for projects of various sizes based on expected market trends
- Support of project development activities such as interconnection, land acquisition, and permitting
- Prepare applications to a variety of provincial and federal government funding programs
- Engage and qualify leads, schedule and conduct introductory meetings
- Prepare pitches to prospective new clients
- Liaise with the technical team in support of project development activities such as interconnection, land acquisition, and permitting
- Develop and maintain sales collateral
- Develop, implement and maintain organizational tools to help manage BD efforts
- Other responsibilities as required
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated team player who is passionate about the clean energy transition and enjoys working in a fast-paced, growth environment. Experience in the power sector, particularly power markets and/or power project development, as well as experience in financial modeling, would be considered an asset. The candidate will demonstrate an attention to detail, a willingness to learn and an ability to creatively problem solve and take initiative. Critical thinking, good judgment and a can-do attitude will be important as the successful candidate will be called upon to support a wide range of business development activities. They will be a strong communicator who listens well and can deal effectively with multiple internal and external partners. The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, be highly organized and able succeed in an international business environment with many concurrent projects and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree (business or engineering degree preferred)
- 2-5 years of professional work experience
- Prior experience in the power sector, in either a business development or finance role, would be an asset
- Prior project development or project management experience would be an asset
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Critical thinker who takes initiative and has a strong work ethic
- Highly organized and manages time effectively
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a proactive problem solver
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- Strong MS Office and other software skills – mainly PowerPoint, Excel (i.e. financial modeling), Word, SharePoint, and Teams
Interested candidates, please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title you are applying for in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hydrostor values, respects and supports the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our team. Our employment decisions are based on business and position requirements without regard to factors such as race, sex, colour, ancestry, place of origin, ethnic origin, same-sex partnership status, sexual orientation, age, disability, citizenship, family status or marital status, creed, gender identity or gender expression, or any other factor that are legislatively protected. Hydrostor is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. Applicants requiring accommodation during the recruitment and selection process are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required. We will work with you to meet your needs.